Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What we take in.


Almost every afternoon I get the same question, I have learned now what the real question is.

The afternoon ritual goes something like this:

Brendan: "May I have something to snack on?"

Me: "You can always have fruit. We have apples, oranges, and bananas.  Would you like one of those?"

Brendan: "Oh" (very long pause, long enough for me to get back to what I was doing and be in to it again.) "How about potato chips (or insert whatever junk food Adam purchased for the weeks treat)"

Me: "No, but you can have fruit"

Brendan: "Oh"

The real question was "can I eat junk?" 

Since the "evil" step-mom entered the castle the rule is fruit is the only snack between meals.  This is because the first week Adam and I went grocery shopping I found out his idea of a balanced diet included meat, potatoes, water and the daily cup of pop (soda pop).  Fruit was an introduction to the home with my appearance; in fact I think the kids might think I invented fruit. It is important to have a balanced meal, not too much of any one thing.  There are consequences to not eating a balanced diet, such as fatigue and irritability. Most of us try to live this out in our day to day lives with our eating habits.  Do we do it with our spiritual lives as well though?  

Reality is I don't.  I am the meat kind of gal when it comes to my spiritual life.  I rarely have fruit and even less the social foods, like cheese and frequently add junk, like watching a TV show that may not be appropriate.  I love to study the bible (my meat); I crave learning more about Gods word.  This is great, and I am not saying it isn't important, however, it is just as important to spend time praising God, serving God, and sharpening ourselves with others in community.  Really, if you just spend time studying the bible, you've missed the point and your spiritual diet will be out of whak. You will have consequences, such as an unbalanced view of what God says or potentialy no regard for how great he is.  

The real question for me is, what am I going to do about my spiritual diet? My goal now, to bring my spiritual diet back in to balance and create better spiritual habits.

1 comment:

 

gold parties